RB9 & RB Connect 2020 updates
In February 2020, we began including videos demo-ing new features. This page covers features added in 2020.
Release date: November 27, 2020
- Schedule same job multiple times on the same day
Changed to be able to add the same dates to New Job > Set Multiple Job Dates > Fixed Dates.
- More information in results grids
- In Send Job Confirmations/Cancellations, added Job Location, Job Location City, and Job Location State columns to the grid.
- In Send Assignment Notifications/Cancellations, added Acknowledged Date, Job Location, Job Location City, and Job Location State columns to the grid.
- Export paychecks to QuickBooks directly from Payables
Added Export > QuickBooks IIF. Checks can be imported to QuickBooks without using Tools > QuickBooks Integrator.
- More search filters in Reports
Added Billing Rate Group to search criteria in Client Rating Report and Insurance Billing reports.
- Add overpayments to QuickBooks
Changed to be able to add overpayment when adding data to QuickBooks using QuickBooks Integrator’s Receive Payment.
- Resources can see task remarks on RB Connect/RB Connect Mobile
Added Remarks to View Job > Task section.
Release date: October 27, 2020
- Use date range for batch notifications
When sending Job Confirmations/Cancellations and Assignment Notifications/Cancellations:
- Date field has been changed to Date From/To fields so you can search by a date range of up to 30 days.
- Job Confirmations/Cancellations’ Date From defaults to today’s date.
- When either Date From or Date To is blank, the date in the other field will be used for both dates in searches.
Send Job Confirmations/Cancellations
Send Assignment Notifications/Cancellations
- Task-level repository added
A new repository has been added for files you want to give to resources assigned to tasks. Instead of assigned resources getting all of the items uploaded to the job repository, you can easily send them documents related to their task and/or make the files available in their RB Connect.
When emailing resources their Assignment Notifications, you can automatically attach certain file types from the Task-level repository. Set which files types to attach in System Preferences. Task-level files appear in the Repository pane of jobs in resources’ RB Connect.
With the new Task-level repository, a new Date Type has been added. You can use Order Date as the Date Type when searching all repositories or just the Task-level repository.
- Go to Shipping directly from Turn In
Shipping button has been added to Turn In detail screens.
- Automatically apply sequentially numbered stamps to exhibits
Automatically number PDF exhibits with stamps that include RB9 job information as they are uploaded to the Witness-level repository.
Create as many stamp templates as you want that include exhibit numbers and RB9 job information automatically with the new Exhibit Stamps function.
Plus you can allow resources to apply stamps automatically to exhibits when uploading them via RB Connect during turn in.
- Apply custom stamps to PDF Transcripts without leaving RB9
Stamp RB-PDF Transcripts “original” or “certified copy,” or any other stamp you set up in RB9 with the new PDF Transcript Stamps function.
Set up as many stamps as you want and customize their look in the new PDF Transcript Stamps function.
- Change job status in Shipping function
Job Status field has been added to the New/View/Edit Shipment window. You can change Job Status to Shipped in New/Edit Shipment window by selecting Change Status to Ship option.
- Faster payment processing when 1 check is paying 1 invoice
New One Check One Invoice option in Receivables > Receive Payments simplifies applying a payment when a single check covers a single invoice.
- Continuously add payments in Receive Payments function
Instead of clicking the New button in the main Receive Payments grid to apply payments, you can now select Save & New in the Edit Payment window to continue to enter payments.
- Include credit card processing fees in transactions
When processing credit card payments, you can break out the usage fees associated with them. There is now a field for that additional fee amount in Receive Payments. Amounts entered in this field appear in:
- Processing Fee column in individual invoice’s Receivable Transactions grid in Invoice Inquiry.
- Processing Fee column in individual payment’s Applied Payments grid in Receivable Transaction Inquiry.
- Processing Fee column in Cash Receipts Register - Payments report.
- Payment Processing Expenses account for the selected BUs in Cash Receipts Journal report.
Processing fees are automatically applied when clients use RB Connect to pay online via PayPal.
Set up credit card payment processing fee accounts in your business units, then when processing fees are applied to invoices in Receive Payments, they are included in the corresponding accounts.
- Hide per unit rates in detailed invoices
New Business Unit option lets you produce detailed invoices without per unit rates displayed.
- Debit late charges and finance charges from Debit Memo
When a client’s check bounces, you can include the entire balance, including late charges and finance charges, in Debit Memo.
- Back up your RB9 database to your desktop
Use the new Download Backup File function in Tools to download backup files from up to 7 days ago.
- Choose how to send contact’s their invoices
Select how your clients want to receive invoices from you in their Contact records (options are email, print, both, or don’t send). Then when sending invoices, you can change the method for specific invoices from their default in the Send Invoices results grid.
- Include invoice, case, & job info in one custom report
In the Query Maker tool, you can use the new “Invoices+Jobs+Cases” data set to run queries that include information from invoice, job, and case fields in one list. For example, if you are running a query for invoices, your results can included the associated case numbers.
- Totals appear in exported reports
Results grids display the footer’s total line when exported to Excel/CSV format.
- More online payment vendors to choose from
In addition to PayPal you can select from these other vendors for your contacts’ Online Payment Method for paying invoices through RB Connect:
- First Data/Payeezy
More update features
- Add party to linked jobs with fewer clicks
When adding a party to either a case or a job, new Save & Edit option in the New Party panel lets you add requested services and/or add the party to all linked jobs without having to close, then reopen the party panel.
- Reschedule old jobs
Previously, if a job was past its scheduled date, you couldn’t reschedule it; you could only copy the job and set a new date. Now this restriction has been eliminated, and you can reschedule these jobs.
- List view job calendar defaults to tomorrow
Instead of blank date fields, Job Date From/To fields default to tomorrow’s date when opening Jobs (List View).
- OAuth2 authentication added to email preferences
In both System Preferences and User Preferences, you can choose “SMTP with OAuth2 - Microsoft 365” option when setting up your email to enable OAuth2 authentication when using Microsoft 365 Office.
- More search filters & results columns for jobs
Case Type has been added to the search criteria in both calendar views. Notation has been added to the search criteria in List View. Time Zone and Case Type columns have been added to the results grid in List View.
- Expanded data entry fields
The amount of information you can enter into certain fields in jobs has been increased:
- Notation field is now 24 characters long.
- Scheduling Notes, Confirmation Notes, Resource Notification Notes, and Production/Billing Notes are now unlimited in length.
- View Task Notes in results grids
You no longer have to go into individual tasks to read related notes. Task Notes now appear in the Tasks and Quick Assignments results grids. It is also one of columns whose order you can change in System Preferences > General > Rearrange Grid Columns.
- Notation column added to Quick Assignments results grid
See at a glance if there are any special notes on jobs when assigning resources without having to click into every job.
- Specialties & Requested Services added to Job Printout
Easily see if clients had special requests for any upcoming jobs to take into account when assigning jobs and also to remind resources of additional services that were requested.
- Sort individual resource’s payable invoices when running payroll
In the Pay Resources results grid, you can sort each resource’s list of payable invoices by any of the columns in the sub-grid.
- Include the full case name in Job Confirmations and other forms
The data field “Cases.CaseFullName” has been added to the following form templates:
- Job Confirmations
- Job Cancellations
- Assignment Notifications
- Assignment Cancellations
- Contact Letters
- Witness Letters
- Other Letters
- Collection Letters-Single Invoice
- Search for jobs by resource in Turn In
Since reporters often forget or lose job numbers, you can now look up jobs by resource in the Turn In window.
- Names instead of numbers appear in the Subject line in internal messages
To easily identify the messages without opening them, reminders sent from the Notes Log of:
- A case contains the case name instead of case number in the Subject line.
- A firm contains the firm’s name instead of firm number in the Subject line. Reminders sent from a firm’s Collections pane also use the firm name instead of number.
- A resource contains the resource’s name instead of resource number in the Subject line. Reminders sent from a resource’s Certifications pane also use the resource name instead of number.
- A location contains the location’s name instead of location number in the Subject line.
- Resource assignment paper trail
When you assign or remove a resource from a task, a log entry is made in the job’s Notes Log so you have a paper trail of resource assignments.
- QuickBooks Integrator works with QuickBooks Online edition
Export financials and contacts to QuickBooks Online edition.
- Allow contacts to request same-day jobs via RB Connect
If you set the option, “Do not allow new job request within this number of days (weekends are excluded)” to –1 in general job preferences in RB Connect, contacts can make job requests for the current date.
- Resources can copy services to multiple invoices
When resources turn in jobs through RB Connect and generate multiple invoices, they can save time by using the new Copy Service To function to copy services from one invoice to others.
- More rearrange-able grid columns
In addition to the new Tasks Notes appearing as a rearrange-able column in Tasks and Quick Assignments, other grid columns whose order you can change in System Preferences > General > Rearrange Grid Columns include:
- Notation in Quick Assignments.
- Time Zone and Case Type in Jobs (List View).
- See current receivables transaction balances at a glance
Balance column added to Receivable Transaction Inquiry results grid.
- Clients can reschedule jobs with a Request New status
Clients do not have to wait for you to acknowledge that you received a request before they can reschedule a job when the date/time changes or they made an error entering the job.
Release date: August 10, 2020
Designate your RB Connect reply email address
You can now specify which email address appears as the sender in emails from RB Connect and which your clients and resources reply to. Enter the reply email address in the Sender’s Email field in the RB Connect Preferences General preferences window.
Release date: July 19, 2020
Faster download speeds
The method for downloading and setting up RB9 pages in a browser has been changed to make the process faster and eliminate problems caused by slower-speed networks. Previously, if the end-user clicked a button before all background operations were finished, the operations would stop and nothing would happen as a result of the button click.
In this version of RB9, background operations are now 50% faster, lessening the likelihood of these types of errors and resulting in faster page loads for everyone.
Release date: June 7, 2020
Speedier QuickBooks Integrator performance
QuickBooks Integrator was too slow when dealing with large amounts of data. This updated fixes that slow performance problem.
This table highlights the difference between QuickBooks Integrator converting RB9 data and inserting it into QuickBooks in the last version of RB9 and the current version, using an example of a database with over 30,000 invoices and 5 sets of data for each type of data:
|QuickBooks Data||RB 9.11||RB 9.12|
As you can see, all types of data convert from RB9 and insert into QuickBooks faster — up to 16 times faster! In addition to this new built-in speed enhancement, be sure to always launch your QuickBooks application before using QuickBooks Integrator. With this simple fix, you will see over 300% faster performance.
Release date: May 13, 2020
This release description includes videos of OMTI’s Director of Client Services Jason Yee demo-ing new features.
- Search firms by contact improved
When you use the Search By Contact Name option in firm searches, the results returned are listed by contact and firm name instead of firm name only, so you can more quickly located the correct firm.
Also, when creating a new job, if you search by Contact Name, when you click the hyperlinked contact name in the search results, the New Job window automatically defaults to the contact's name in the Scheduling Contact field, eliminating the need to choose the contact again.
- Keep a paper trail of your RB9 emails
You now have the option to always send yourself a blind carbon copy of emails you send through RB9. Set in User Preferences.
- Resize multi-line input boxes to see entire entry
Multi-line input boxes in Edit windows are resizable. Drag the bottom-right handle of a multi-line box to grow the box so you can view the contents without scrolling. (Not available in Internet Explorer or Edge browsers.)
- Search and edit linked jobs
If you use linked jobs instead of tasks for the video portion of a depo job or for other separate tasks of one job, those linked jobs now appear in job searches in the Calendar, so you can easily look up and edit those jobs separately from the main job they are linked to.
Also, the Linked Job field in a job is now editable so you can link a job to an existing job, or delete a link between jobs.
- Improved Job Printout layout
Information about each job on the Job Printout has been rearranged to be easier to read:
- Essential job information, such as date, time, job type, and ordering client are in the header of each job, which also makes it easier to distinguish between jobs on the page.
- If a job entry doesn’t fit at the end of a page, the entire job entry is moved to the next page so there are no entries split between pages.
- Faster to add multiple witnesses
Save & New option added to New Witness screen makes it faster to add multiple witnesses to a job during turn-in by keeping you in the New Witness screen.
- Print addresses on envelopes
In addition to DYMO labels for correspondence and packaging, you can now generate a PDF file of addresses positioned to print on standard envelope sizes or create your own custom layout.
- Use popular queries to make custom reports
Instead of writing your own queries from scratch in Query Maker, download queries written by RB9 staff and other users to generate reports that are most commonly requested but are not in RB9 yet.
- Mass update a firm’s contact notification emails
You can designate one contact’s email address to receive a specific type of notification email (Job, Invoice, Repository) for multiple contacts at a firm at once. You can also delete notification emails to some or all contacts at a firm at once.
This is handy when someone leaves the firm who has been responsible for all the contacts’ accounting emails, for example. You can globally delete that email from the contacts’ list, then add the new email address. All in one function.
- More merge options
You can now merge more list entries, retaining historical data but reducing the number of entries in a list and removing entries you don’t need. For a complete list of the new merge-able lists, see the update notice for ReporterBase 9.11 in the Knowledgebase.
- Set different margins for condensed transcripts, word lists, and word indexes
When setting up PDF transcript templates, you can set different page margins for the full-size transcript, the condensed transcript, the word list, and the word index. You can also change them on the fly when creating RB-PDF transcripts.
- Set longer time-out intervals
For security reasons, RB9 automatically logs users out after a certain period of inactivity unless they indicate they want to stay connected. Now you can change the session timeout interval from the default 20 minutes to up to 60 minutes.
- Canceled jobs easy to see in RB Connect
To make them stand out, canceled jobs appear in red in List view, and in red and crossed-out in Calendar view in both Contact and Resource sides of RB Connect.
On Contact side:
On Resource side:
More update features
- Faster log-in
Log-in processing speed is up to 30% faster in this release.
- Record of job confirmations & cancellations includes address
When you send job confirmations or cancellations via email, RB9 makes a Job Confirmation/Cancellation entry that includes the receiver’s email address in the Notes Log of the jobs.
- Record of sent invoices & statements includes address
When you send invoices or statements via email, RB9 makes a “sent” entry that includes the receiver’s email address in the Notes Log of the invoices/statements.
- View invoice details in Receivable Transaction Inquiry
Numbers that appear in the Invoice No. column of search results in the Receivable Transaction Inquiry function are hyperlinked to the related invoice for all transaction types except Payment.
- Grand total appears on Resource Billings Report
The Resource Billings Report now includes a grand total on the last page adding together all the resources’ earnings in the report.
- Job numbers included on statements
Invoices listed on statements now include their job number along with the invoice number, invoice date, job date, witness name, and balance.
- See active entities in Tag Manager results
The Tag Manager now includes an Active column in the search results so you can see at a glance which entities are still active (such as clients who are still scheduling jobs), so you can send emails, letters, etc. to only active entities.
- See warnings about locations at a glance
Location warnings are now included in the results grid of the Locations module, so you can see if there is a warning about a location without having to click into the location’s details.
- Exclude automatic file attachments for designated tasks
If you have set up Assignment Notifications to have repository files automatically attached to them, you can designate specific tasks you do not want to include these files with their notifications.
- Include client’s phone number on invoices & statements
Default option prints the Bill To client’s number below their address.
- Always print details on a firm’s invoices & statements
You can set as a default to have services listed on all new firms’ invoices. You can turn off the option on individual firm’s listings.
Release date: February 1, 2020
This release description includes videos of OMTI’s Director of Client Services Jason Yee demo-ing new features.
- More secure with 2FA log-in
This update includes the option to use two-factor authentication (2FA) for logging in to RB9 and RB Connect. 2FA is a way to more securely confirm a user’s identity by adding a second factor to signing in with a user name and password.
Set up 2FA in RB9:
Set up 2FA in RB Connect:
In RB9 and RB Connect, 2FA uses a verification code that is sent to the user’s email address or mobile device, which the user then enters during sign-in to confirm their identity. Verification is per device, so users can set their device to require 2FA each time they log in (for example, on a public computer) or only the first time (e.g., on their dedicated work computer). Device verification is good for 2 years.
Verify 2FA in RB9:
Verify 2FA in RB Connect:
- Easier to change billing contact when Bill To firm is same as Sold To firm
Previously, if the Sold To firm on a job, case, or invoice was the same as the Bill To firm, but the firm’s billing contact was different than the ordering contact, you had to reselect the firm in the Bill To section of the job party to select the correct contact. Now when you designate the Sold To firm as the Bill To firm, you can change the default Bill To contact by unchecking Same As Sold To,then using the Bill To Contact drop-down without losing the Bill To firm information.
In Case Manager:
In Jobs List View:
In Turn In > New Invoice:
- Aged A/R report for earlier time periods & more
The interactive Aged A/R report is even more useful with these 3 latest changes. You can now:
Generate Aged A/R reports for prior time periods.
See how many days old an invoice is in its Aged A/R detail screen.
See the Total Amount line in Excel spreadsheets exported using the Export with invoices button.
- Daily Balance Log adjusted to work with new Aged A/R
Previously, the Aged A/R report was limited to aging accounts from today only. So if you wanted an A/R summary aged from a previous date, you used the Daily Balance Log. With the ability now to choose a different date to age receivables from in Aged A/R reports, discrepancies could occur between the 2 reports because Daily Balance Log used the date when receivables were posted but Aged A/R reports use the date when receivables are entered.
If you have ever entered a receivables transaction without posting it the same day, you can see how that could be a problem when checking the Daily Balance Log posted amounts against an Aged A/R report for a prior time period because Aged A/R tracks invoices’ balances when receivable transactions are added to RB9, not when the receivables are posted. Daily Balance Log now uses the Entered Date instead of the Post Date to match the Aged A/R process.
- More transcript options
PDF/A options have been added to RB-PDF Transcripts. PDF/A file formats are specialized versions of PDF files designed for archiving/preserving electronic documents. They differ from PDF by prohibiting features unsuitable for long-term archiving, such as attachments. This option is available for PDF transcripts created in RB9 and by clients exporting PDF transcripts from Transcript Packages in RB Connect and RB Connect Mobile.
PDF/A options for full-size transcripts:
Two pages per sheet condensed transcripts option. You now can set up condensed transcripts with 2 ASCII pages per sheet, in addition to the original 4 pages per sheet. This option is available for PDF transcripts created in RB9 and by clients exporting PDF transcripts from Transcript Packages in RB Connect and RB Connect Mobile.
Multiple highlight colors in Transcript Packages. Contacts can set up multiple highlight selections in Transcript Packages in RB Connect and RB Connect Mobile defined by color and label. They can export all their highlights combined into one file or export them individually by highlight color.
Set up & apply highlight colors:
Export highlighted content by category:
- Remove inactive contacts from notification threads automatically
When you move a contact to inactive status, you can choose to have their email addresses automatically deleted from notification email lists so they will no longer receive those emails.
- Track resource certification expirations
You can add expiration dates to resources’ certifications, plus set a reminder date for your staff to send resources a notice to renew their certifications before they expire.
- More flexible time-off requests
Resources can easily ask for time off by day, hour, or a longer time period. Longer time periods can be full days (like vacations), or specific periods in the days (like when taking a class).
- More update improvements
- Send assignment notifications to resources by email and SMS simultaneously. (Calendar)
- Job printouts can include scheduling notes. (Calendar)
Post and archive invoices at the same time.
In Turn In:
In Post Invoices:
- Firm and Contact Results grids include Warning column. (Entities)
Multi-page statements include current page number of total page numbers to easily identify the page. (Receivables)
Users and Groups has mobile vendor option added for mobile phones. (Setup)
Assignment notifications can now have files attached from Firm repository. (System Preferences)
- Can set End Time default for new jobs. (System Preferences)